Kestrel provides a comprehensive range of technical services to our bioenergy clients, working with our technical partners on biomass, biogas and syngas process design. We support capital and maintenance projects, ranging from greenfield power generation / CHP feasibility studies to biomass fuel yard upgrades. We understand and align with our clients’ priorities and strategic objectives, recognizing increased regulatory compliance challenges, feedstock characterization and security issues, new technology risks and other related problems.
We have extensive biomass materials handling experience, including storage, reclaim, conveyance and metering services for sticky, wet, highly-abrasive, explosive and hot materials. Similar to other solid fuels, there is no single “biomass” specification – the specific properties and environmental context must be recognized to achieve safe and effective systems design. There are unique challenges in biomass handling and our clients work with us based on our track record of success. We have specific experience in troubleshooting existing operations and equipment based on changes in biomass feedstock properties.
Kestrel’s staff have designed materials handling systems for a wide variety of biomass materials, including the following:
- Agricultural Waste
- Bamboo Grass
- Bana Grass
- Char Prills
- Corn Stover
- Food Waste
- Grass Seed
- Nursery Trimmings
- Oat Hulls
- Rice Hulls
- Urban Wood Waste
- Wood Chips
- Wood Pellets
In conjunction with our technical partners, we have supported a variety of bioenergy projects related to power generation. Fuels include biomass, landfill gas and syngas, in services ranging from greenfield project development to BOP systems specification and upgrade. We support our clients in syngas production technologies implementation, including torrefaction, pyrolysis, and gasification facilities engineering.
We can provide single-point engineering for a bioenergy project or support our clients in an owner’s engineer role. Our objective is to support our clients in a manner that best achieves their objectives.
Areas of bioenergy power generation that Kestrel can support include the following:
- Greenfield Project Engineering Development
- Capital Planning, Options Analysis, and Cost Estimating
- Emerging Technology due diligence
- Fuel options availability and Supply Chain Assessment
- Materials Handling Design
- Combined Heat and Power Applications
- Repowering, Fuel Conversions and Co-Firing Evaluations
- Biogas Production and Gas Conditioning
- Utility Interconnection
- Plant Troubleshooting
- Existing Operation Capacity, Flow, Storage or Reliability Improvement
- Feasibility Studies and Development Support
- Steam Cycle Review, Troubleshooting and Optimization
- Fugitive Emissions and Odor Management
- Fire and Explosion Assessment and Mitigation Program Development
- Air Quality Control System Design and Retrofit
- Water Treatment System Design and Water Balance Assessment
- Steam and Feedwater Controls and Operations Coordination
- Control System Specification and Tuning
- Owner’s Engineering Support
Our retrofit specialization makes us an ideal engineering partner for revamp projects. We have successfully executed projects in every area of bioenergy plants, upgrading equipment, improving efficiency and developing creative, practical solutions to support operations. Whether as part of your team or leading a coordinated effort, we will deliver your project safely, meeting the budget, schedule and quality objectives reliably.